Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day One- March 4th or wait, March 5th



Two and half movies later and an average few hours of sleep, I wake up to sunshine peaking through the bottom of my window shade. Most people are still sleeping and the plane is dark but I can’t help but peak out at what is below.






We passed above the snow covered mountains of Turkey, the circular city of Mosul and currently, I am somewhere above Iraq. I know Baghdad is to the right and below I can see some holding tanks and maybe refineries. There is more open space than inhabited space and crater-like mountains expand as far as I can see. I only wish I could truly zoom in to see the cities, homes and people.





The plane also has a neat feature that shows what countries we are flying over and the direction of Mecca so that Muslims know the direction to pray while on the plane. I am pretty surprised to see that on a Delta plane.







Wow, I never imagined flying over Iraq and soon Kuwait and then the edge of Iran. I am already at a loss of words to describe how excited I am to be seeing a part of the world so unfamiliar to me. I hate my own stereotypes, and TV ingrained images of the Middle East and there is no better way to understand the world than to see it. I am full of gratitude and know that the next few days will be a time to remember. Well, time for a curry hot pocket and some couscous like lunch or is this dinner- I don’t know.


Day 1/2??


We landed a few hours ago and got dinner at a Lebanese Middle Eastern Fusion Restaurant. We took a few laps up and down the streets to check out the amazing buildings and cars and now its time to try and get some rest....this time change already has me confused. Tomorrow we are off to the Souks!! More to come!


















No comments:

Post a Comment