Thursday, May 5, 2011

Traveling above the clouds...






On Monday I begin another adventure, personal development opportunity and service learning course. For 2 1/2 weeks 5 Kennesaw State MBA guys and I will be traveling around Guatemala working hand in hand with the non-profit Social Entrepreneur Corps.

The organization is a social enterprise whose mission is to design and implement innovative, practical, efficient and effective entrepreneurial and educational solutions with and for our constituents in rural, developing world communities.  I hope this trip gives me another perspective and approach to development work as well as a nice little vacation. I will be living with various families just like in Peace Corps so I should be able to practice my Spanish and fill up on some good old rice, beans and tortillas.

I can't wait and I will keep you all updated. Below is a general outline of what we will be doing and the website if you want to learn more about the Corps.

http://www.socialentrepreneurcorps.com/ 

Arch in Antigua Guatemala by ~juan-arita


Antigua
  • Country, History and Culture OverviewOrganization Overview
  • Reading AssignmentsSimulation Small BusinessRelief Work
  • Development Work and Social Entrepreneurship Discussion
  • Development Discussions/Activity-Desired Outcomes (Logic Model)APF, PLC, etc.
  • Best Practices
  • Social Entrepreneurship: Guiding Principles and the MCM
  • Para Su Bien estar
  • Village Visit: Sales Campaign
Travel to Nebaj
  • Village Visit: Publicity Campaign
  • Field Work
  • Centro Explorativo
  • Centro Explorativo
  • Village Visit: Sales Campaign
Hike Acul
Travel to Lake Atitlan
  • Lake/Cultural Activity
  • Morning at Lake/ Adventure Activity
Afternoon in Antigua
Guatemala City 

No comments:

Post a Comment