Saturday, May 28, 2011

Happy Memorial Day Poppy!

I have been feeling a bit homesick today and think the feeling is unanimous among the Czerwinskis living outside of Oconomowoc. Memorial Day has always been a big Czerwinski holiday and one that reminds us all of my grandpa Poppy who passed away a few years ago.

Poppy enlisted in the service when he was 17 and was assigned to drive amphibious landing crafts in New Guinea an the Philippines. He served 2 years active duty, 4 years in the reserves and later in life volunteered as a firefighter.








 As far back as I can remember, every memorial day weekend Grandma would take out uncle Mark's and poppy's Navy uniform (loosen the pants some years) and press them neatly for the big parade day. All of the family would watch the parade and follow it to the cemetery for the gun salute. My least favorite part was the gunshot noise but I loved racing my brother to capture the guns shells on the ground. After the parade we  went to the VFW for hot dogs and beer (or cokes for us kids!). My Great Uncle Ray and Uncle Mark were also in the service too so it was not only a time to honor those who served our country but it was also a great family reunion.





Over the years, I missed a few memorial day reunions due to my busy immature teenage life but Poppy never missed a single one in 63 years. I would do anything to be able to go back in time and march along with him not only to just be in his presence but also because for me, Oconomowoc visits are a part of my past roots I wish I could hold onto forever. As time goes on and us grandkids grow older and move away, it has become harder to reconnect over fish frys and lazy brunch mornings. However, I know each one of us cherishes those memories and will comit to honoring Poppy this weekend and every Memorial Day to come.




 We love you Poppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment