Friday, May 27, 2011

Guatemala souvenirs

I justified all of my Guatemala purchases based on the idea that I was fueling the local economy and supporting the Lema women's group! Also, this was my third time in Guatemala but the last 2 times were during Peace Corps and believe it or not, I was even poorer back than and everything I owned fit in a backpack.

Below are pictures of most of my purchases. The lighter colored fabric items came from the Lema women's group in Atilan. The other items are from either Nebaj, Pana or Antigua. They are items for me or for gifts but I think it would be so neat to have a fair trade website or store some day.

As for the baby items...well, maybe I am jinxing myself but I couldn't resist.Some day...

Boy overalls from Antigua and girl dress from Chichi market with handmade traje details

Lema women's group bag designed by Paula

Lema coasters, bag and Pana table runner

Spice bowls and coffee

Basket from another similar womens' group
http://www.jadesolidarios.webcindario.com/
Fabric from Chich market and letters from Antigua for a special baby gift for a friend



I was looking all over Nebaj for a skirt like they wear but they were all too big or had to be tied with their belts and I wanted elastic. So, the last day the one host family made one for me. Not sure if I will ever wear it but after the gesture...I had to buy it!!

All the women carry their babies on their backs and this is kinda the american version they sell.

My favorites...Chocolates and tea

1 comment:

  1. Shane brought home the most beautiful souvenirs. Lainey looks absolutely adorable in her little dress.

    ReplyDelete