Monday, May 9, 2011

Social Entrepreneur Corps day 1


We arrived safely in Guatemala city around noon today and hopped into a little micro-bus to Antigua. This is my third time here in Guatemala but it has been a few years so it was fun to see new and familiar scenery.

We started with the most important part of traveling- the food! We had some tacos al pastor with fresh corn tortillas. After we wondered the cobble stone streets a bit and then everyone else went back to take a short nap since we had been up since 3:30 am. I continued to explore the hidden markets and endless picturesque views. Its always suprising when you enter through a little doorway and find a huge market inside lined with bright colored fabrics and art work. I made my way back to the hotel just before the rain came crashing down and sat under the coverd balcony listening to what I guess was the first big thunderstorm in months.

Tonight we are staying in a cute hotel and tomorrow we are off to our homestays with families. The Corps model is based on the Peace Corps model so it all should feel familiar to me but despite my abroad travels, I still get a little anxious to meet the famly I will be living with for the next week. I recieved a bio on them and I know they have a little kid and the dad is a human rights activist. Sounds like a good match for me!


We will be right outside of Antigua for a week and then migrate north to the rural highlands of Nebaj next week. So, my blog posts might be few and far between but I will be writing daily to keep up with the details and post when I can.

I am currently reading Malcolm Gladwells' latest book and I liked his line about good writing- "Good writing does not succeed or fail on the strength of its ability to persuade. It succeeds or fails on its ability to engage you, to make you think, to give you a glimpse into someone else's head- even if in the end you conclude that someone else's head is not a place you'd like to be." So, with that in mind, I hope this blog engages you and gives you a glimps into the Maya-Guate world.


Tortilla Making


Tacos al Pastor meat (I ate chicken!)


Antigua streets
Hotel room for the night-no roommate since I am the only girl!
PS only spell check in spanish and VERY slow internet so ignore the poor editing!

No comments:

Post a Comment