Saturday, February 26, 2011

My great Maya Moment!

Despite my laundry, text books and messy house staring at me right now- I must capture the experiences I had today before they pass and I miss my chance to reflect on their significance.

My morning started with a Study Abroad Dubai class where I sat in a room listening to presentations on the UAE, Middle East Consulting & Financial Services and Muslim Culture. One of my classmates is Japanese, one is Turkish and my Professor is Lebanese. It was a fascinating mix of culture, religion, politics and business.

After my 4 hour class I headed straight to my Graduate Research and Maya Heritage meeting and couldn't help but feel slightly annoyed that I had to spend the rest of my day in another meeting. It was 70 degrees and sunny, I have two tests next week and I am leaving the country on Friday. I was tense and completely distracted (ask Dan since I called him on my drive)!

I arrived at my meeting and met Cecila and Juan, two Guatemalan immigrant Maya who came to visit us from Florida. Ceclia was dressed in her traditional traje (bright colored dress) and her smiles immediately changed my entire mood. I sat down with them and the next 5 hours flew by as we discussed Maya health views, U.S. healthcare barriers and Maya traditional medicines and herbs. Cecila works in a clinic back in Florida and she has over 20 years of experience working in health. Her knowledge and perspective is invaluable and I wanted to soak up all I could from our discussion.

Cecila first came to the U.S. when she was 15 years old and she has never been back to Guatemala. She escaped Guatemala during the most violent and dangerous years of the civil war and she says she gets goosebumps just thinking about the horror of the country when she left. Her husband, Juan, came over a few years after Celila and was also escaping the war but unfortunately, not before witnessing his father's murder in the mercado by guerrilla soldiers. His father was a strong Maya leader and a successful business man and therefore, was targeted during the civil war. Juan and Cecila lived across the river from each other back home but did not meet until finding refuge in L.A. When Jaun arrived he was shuffled around by Guatemalan host families since he did not have family here in the U.S. Celia spent a few years living on Calle 18 (yep-the one in L.A. with ALL the most dangerous gangs). She said the conditions on dieciocho were not much safer than Guatemala. Eventually she and Juan moved away and started a family. In addition, they fostered Guatemalan children!

Juan and Celila's wisdom, courage, love and kindness is overwhelming and I honestly feel a wave of calmness just being around them. My favorite moment was when Juan and Cecilia were working on narrowing down our 150 most important medical terms so they could help translate for us- they were going back in forth between K'iche, Spanish and English and occasionally I would hear them both laugh together. I guess sometimes when you translate into Maya, just a little different intonation or accent changes the meaning of a word and creates nonsense sentences. I really admired them both in that moment as together, after 30 years of marriage they still interacted in such a respectful, candid and playful way.

After 5 hours of work, Dr. LB suggested we go to get dinner and he recommended a sushi bar. I thought it was a little strange because I don't know too many Guatemalans who like sushi but Dr. LB lived in Japan for 7 years, he knows Sushi and he has over 20 years experience working with the Maya. So- we went out for sushi. There I was- sitting at a Japanese sushi bar with my professor and two new Maya friends! It was one of those moments that made me smile and recognize what an absolute gem of a moment it really was. I decided for the next hour I would not allow one thought of homework, midterms, laundry, or any other stressors distract me from this incredible once in a life time situation. So, I sat there- eating Japanese food, drinking a Sapporro and listening to the table dissuasion on Maya Civil war history, life as an immigrant and of course their perspective as parents, healthcare providers and as human beings.

I don't know what exactly brought me down to Atlanta (well the free school was part of it) but I do know what has kept me here so far- its moments like tonight where I see my role and my purpose so clearly. When Cecilia asked me what I was going to do after I graduate with my MBA- I paused and said that I hope to find a job combining healthcare and non-profit work. She smiled and said we could use you in our clinic and need a director that thinks like you. It was one of the greatest complements I have ever received.

I am planning on going back to Minnesota after school but the healthcare needs and immigrant issues are national. I know I can find meaningful work back home and tonight reminded me that getting my MBA and working hard will pay off. Not like most MBAs do by giving me a great salary but by hopefully giving me the skills, resources and vision to revolutionize healthcare one clinic, one town, one state and one nation at a time!

So, final take away message and daily intention. Look at all the people around you and know that each one has a story deeper than we can see on the surface. Close out all external distractions for at least a moment and just listen.

3 comments:

  1. If everyone in the world would just stop and listen for even a few minutes what a different world it would be. Maybe those of us reading this blog could start a movement--"Tell me your story". When a million have heard the story of another million and then a million more we will be on our way. As we witnessed from the people in Egypt one person can be the catalyst for great change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom- you are the best listener out there and beyond that, you do what you can each day to improve the lives of others by challenging the system. I think a mother-daughter team is a strong force. Want to go back to Honduras with me???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we stay in a hotel and visit the beach before we give fluoride treatments in the mountains??!!!

    ReplyDelete