Saturday, July 9, 2011

Through the eyes of Russians

Back to blogging on our Baltic trip! 

For our second day in Russia we signed up for the metro ride, market and vodka tasting tour. Neither one of us really care for vodka but it was a walking tour that allowed for sight seeing on foot rather than bus. We started off by riding the decorative metro which was designed by Stalin as a tribute to the people. He called them the "peoples palaces" and had artist incorporate marble, granite and limestone into artistic mosaics. 

Metro ride

We hopped off the metro at the square where I tried to snap some photos of the women selling flowers and produce on the streets. All of the women looked so grumpy and did NOT appreciate me taking their picture. I would have asked if I knew how to speak Russian and felt bad! We also explored the market where local cottage cheese and honey are among the most popular items. I love markets and have toured many around the world and this one, despite the fresh produce and flowers, was a bit grim. It was indoors and clean but a tad dark and the people didn't appear to appreciate our visit. I guess they are there to make a living and only a few of us purchased items but it just had a different vibe to it then most other markets. 




Next we went to some shops where we found the famous nesting dolls! They reminded me of visits to my grandmas because I used to play with hers- taking them apart and putting them back together over and over again. Every time it surprised me that the doll could get any smaller! We bought one to keep the memories and tradition going. 

Vodka tasting 

The communist remains of Russia we wish we could have seen more of. 

After a full day of wandering, we headed back to get ready for the formal dinning night. I love dressing up and every night felt like date night! We had cocktail hour on the deck and then an AMAZING spread of every seafood, meat, and vegetable  imaginable. It was overwhelming to see such a buffet of food (and not have it be fried Chinese!). I sampled oysters, sushi, paella, Dan's turkey and prime rib and it all was delicious. The whole thing was fancy fancy and over the top. So fancy that at the end of the buffet there was a line of waiters there to carry your plates back to your table for you! It felt a bit silly and I tried not to think of the quantity of food and waste.

We sat with some other financial planners and insurance agents and because I have no problem chatting with strangers, it was fun but on a few occasions, I did think (to myself) that I would rather be siting with just Dan or even with some of the crew members since I found their lives fascinating. Most all of the crew members were from other countries like Sri Lanka or unique islands like Mauritious (thats where our butler was from). 





After the dinner I wanted to take a nap or recline to let the food digest but we couldn't miss the nights entertainment! Craig Ferguson from the Late Late Show was our guest comedian. It was perfect since Dan and I LOVE comedians. Craig sure has a unique sense of humor (maybe its Scottish humor!?!) Anyway, it was funny and by the end my stomach hurt from the laughter and still from dinner! 


*The food, hat and nesting doll pictures were taken by the JH photographer. The rest are mine.  












No comments:

Post a Comment