Monday, July 18, 2011

Granola Bar Trial

The combination of being a poor grad student, foodie, runner and a health conscious individual (usually), I often struggle to find the right snacks and dinner options. To complicate it even more, I live alone and dislike leftovers for more than a few meals, so cooking for one is an additional challenge.

I am NOT a picky eater and will try anything so my grocery list is usually determined by price, nutrition and my latest meal trends. Lately I have been eating a lot of veggie quiche, bean burgers (so easy to make and tasty) and most recently, salmon patties (made with canned salmon, bread crumbs, onion, spices, milk and eggs). 


For snacks, I almost always carry a Tupperware of trailmix with me to class and to work. Usually it includes almonds, dried fruit, oats, cereal and dark chocolate chips (except lately because they melt!). Almonds are expensive and store bought granola bars are filled with preservatives and sugars so tonight I tried to make my own granola bars. I read a bunch of recipes and then created my own based on my tastes.


It was something like this:

2 cups oats
1 cup chopped mixed nuts
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 flax seed
1 cup dried fruit 
dash of salt
touch of cinnamon

1/4 cup honey (or agave)
1/4 cup raw brown sugar
1 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup peanut butter (natural/no sugar added)
1/2 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)

I toasted the first 3 dry ingredients and then mixed them with the remaining dry ingredients. Separately I melted the butter on the stove top and mixed in the sugar and honey. Simmer. After I added the peanut butter and apple sauce to the sugar mixture. Then, I mixed it all together and pressed it into a pan to cook for 15 minutes at 300 degrees.

Toasted

Dried fruit and flax added



I personally think they turned out great! They are a little crumbly- so more like granola than granola bars. I will work on that next batch :) Sorry I can't let you sample! I will bring some to the running group at work tomorrow since they are always encouraging me to bring my cooking experiments to sample.

Dried cherries, papaya, and fruit leather from Trade Joe's
The result!!

No comments:

Post a Comment