Monday, July 4, 2011

Back to intentions

Over the last few weeks I have been refocusing in on fitness. My long vacations are over and school doesn't start for another week, so this has been a perfect time to revamp my workouts. I don't always do well with transitions and I get impatient with myself for not adjusting as well as I want. Post school I was feeling homesick and anxious to move forward with school and a career. Working out tends to be a cure-all for me and since this was another holiday weekend away from Dan and family- I felt like I needed a good run.

I joined LA Fitness awhile ago and its been a great outlet getting back into spinning, yoga, body works and treadmill running. I joined primarily because I have not been adjusting well to the Atlanta heat. I drink water but still feel so weak and light headed after a few miles.

However, as much as I like my gym workouts, I have been feeling a bit like a wimpy northerner not being able to handle the heat. There are tons of people that run at Big Peach and I want to be able to join them. So today I hydrated, ate some cherry Sports Beans (not my favorite flavor) and ventured out for a 6 mile run at 4pm. It was about 90 degrees and humid but I had water and was prepared to stop if needed. 

Asics DS Trainer Free from our vendor (and special ordered in pink!)


I made it without stopping and felt surprisingly ok. Maybe the heat was just psyching me out! Plus, my new Asics DS Trainers and visor pumped me up for my run. I have always wanted to run with a trainer shoe but because I pronate and have had other injuries, I assumed it would be a bad idea. I put my inserts in the shoes and was surprised how light I felt (I have felt many things running but light has never been one of them!). Anyway, I think they are good for short runs but I will stick to my Brooks for longer runs. 

Post run cool down
My water bottle is also a good addition and it was just the right amount for a 6 miler. I don't like the belts because I don't need extra weights on my hips while running! And lastly, the visor! It was great having a sweat band to keep the sunscreen, sun and sweat from getting in my eyes. 




Overall, it was a good run and I think I will try and venture beyond the gym a bit more often now.

No comments:

Post a Comment