Sunday, April 10, 2011

Trail Running!




My
Kennesaw sidewalk running route has been getting a little mundane lately so I decided to venture back to Kennesaw Mountain. Last summer I ran a few trails at the park but never lasted very long because I always managed to find only the uphill steep routes. All the runners at Big Peach talk about Cheatham Hill so this morning I got hydrated, slathered on the sunscreen and headed to the mountain (1.5 miles from my house!).


I started my run at Pigeon Hill and was surprised to see horses, goats, and llamas at the field next to the entrance. I think it was some type of small hobby farm that also runs horseback riding lessons. Not sure about the llamas!?!

I followed the trail across a little stream and then up, down, up and down. For those of you who don't know
Kennesaw Mt. it was a battlefield so you can still see trenches, cannons and along the way there are signs describing the battles. Its a beautiful park with tall pines, streams and lots of green. It was a perfect setting for a challenging trail run.


I had my new Brooks
Adrenaline shoes on which are great for the sidewalks but I stubbed my toe and slipped a bit crossing the stream. I guess my next purchase will be trail shoes! However, the shoes are great for me because they have the posting to keep me from pronating and the cushioning to minimize impact. Plus, Brooks shoes biodegrade 1,000 times faster than other shoes. I don't try and persuade people toward the shoes because a good fit depends on each persons bio-mechanics, however, I have found that many people like the stability, support and light weight material of the shoes.



After my run I hydrated with some Accelrade Hydro which is a low carb, low sugar performance drink with protein added. Its hard to find a protein drink that also hydrates without drinking hundreds of calories. I don't run to loose weight but I sure don't want to gain it from my post-run snacks.

These pictures were post run and pre-shower so just look at the shoes and not me.

So, if your looking for a trail challenge that takes you out of your urban or suburban route- I recommend visiting me and Kennesaw Mountain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment