Saturday, February 14, 2015

What to do when you hit 40 weeks!

We are coming up on 40 weeks this Tuesday. We have had our bags packed and everything ready to go for the last few weeks since the doctor said "any moment now!" Lie! I have been 80% effaced (out of 100) and 2 cm. (out of 10) dilated since our week 38 appointment.

40 Weeks on Tuesday! 

People keep saying that we should enjoy the down time and relax. I don't disagree- that sounds great but with each passing day I am getting a little more impatient and anxious. Over these last few weekends we have walked Ikea, Mall of America, Costco and Babies R Us several times to help move things along but also to distract ourselves and avoid sitting at home staring at our packed bags and empty nursery. I know its best for baby to reach full term and now we have so I would appreciate him to come soon! 

I told Dan today that we should have picked up a new hobby to master this month since our usual pastime of running is not as appealing. He was sick with the stomach flu this week (not fun!) and I am content with walking being my exercise.

My mom cooked a ton of meals for us to eat after baby arrives (we might sneak one before then!) so cooking isn't on my to do list. However, I did decided to bake a few things this weekend. I made Dan chocolate covered peanut butter truffles and made myself lactation cookies to increase my milk supply once baby arrives.  

I researched a ton of lactation cookie recipes and the ones that looked the best required baking. I didn't think that made sense because the research showed that the brewers yeast dies when cooked above 100 degrees. I am sure baked cookies would still have some of the nutrients but most blogs (not a lot of science out there on this topic) said the raw cookies were more effective. Dan and went to one of our many neighborhood brew shops to learn more and I asked one employee if he could guide me in the right direction for which kind of yeast would be best for lactation cookies. I am pretty sure I am the first person to ever ask him that question and still not sure he even understood what I was asking. Dan hung back a little and I heard him laugh a few times at the awkwardness of my inquiry. Anyway, I found some brewers yeast and decided to go with a no-bake recipe just to be on the safe side. 

Baking lactation cookies! 
Getting the ingredients ready for the cookies 

Used the Vitamix to grind up the oats, chia and almonds

I pretty much made up the recipe based on the Urban Tour post run cookies we have weekly. The recipe included the following but measurements are not exact. 

2 C ground oats
2 Tbs. ground chia seeds
1/2 C ground almonds 
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs Brewers yeast 

3/4 C applesauce
1 1/2 C peanut butter
1/2 C sugar

Stir in Chocolate Chips, Rice Krispies and a whole oats until the texture looks right. Chill and store for baby feeding time.
Finished cookie/bars

I sampled them and thought they were pretty good but I bet this will be the only cookie Dan will not eat. Not that it has some weird female-only hormone injected into them but just because of the name. Works for me! 

Lastly, here is a little video that I thought I would never post because it is kinda creepy. Baby g is SOOOO active. This video doesn't even show the half of it. He is usually the most active at night and likes to push really hard on my bladder and ribcage. Yep, time for him to kick outside of my belly! 





No comments:

Post a Comment