Sunday, October 19, 2014

Nesting!

It has been SOOOO long since I last blogged. In the meantime, we moved, got married and are now expecting!! There are so many emotions and updates I could share but since I feel a little rusty blogging, I am just going to start with my weekend project- a mobile for little baby g. I wanted to have a way to document some of the nursery projects and I know not everyone on facebook wants to read about the progress so I figured returning to the blog would be a good idea. I am not committing to ongoing blogs but figure I will give it a go.

I really wanted to make my own mobile and was inspired by some daycare tours we recently went on (that could be a whole blog entry!). Two of the centers are designed around the Reggio approach which I later learned means they incorporate a lot of nature into the space, use neutral colors, natural wood and natural lighting. I have also been on pinterest with my hidden board for too long to admit (pre-baby!) and had some ideas I tried to pull together this weekend.

First, I collected some branches from this amazing tree! Yes, I was literally nesting. I never really liked that term since it sounds like some form of hibernation but when I found myself collecting sticks, I had to face the facts- I was nesting!


Then I whittled the sticks!


And then I went to Michael's Crafts with a coupon and spent under $20 for paint, paint pens, washi tape, brushes, wood squares and string. I painted the sticks first and then the little squares. Next I glued the two squares together with the string in between.This took way longer than I had imagined but I didn't mind since I wasn't feeling great and preferred a relaxing day crafting while Dan was at the football game.


After painting, Dan helped me tie all the strings and try and make the branches balanced. Good metaphor for life right now- Dan is definitely the one keeping everything balanced. He has been so incredibly supportive both pre-pregnancy and throughout this hormonal/emotional journey.




We still have to hang it and not sure how that will go but looks good when Dan is holding it! Other than the mobile...the room needs a little work. We got it painted, have a crib from Dan's sister Maria (love that her little ones used it- feels full of love!) and a dresser we need to set up.

Good thing I still have 17 weeks to go. We have time to nest! 

1 comment: