Monday, November 28, 2011

Rejected!

Today between doing my strategy and accounting homework, I received an email saying "thanks but we are perusing other candidates." It was from a company I applied to a few weeks ago and even though I figured too much time had passed for there to be good news, I was still hoping I was wrong. It was the first job (post-MBA) and the only job so far that I have applied to and yes, I know there is probably going to be a long list of rejections before I find the right fit, but that doesn't make it any easier. The hardest part was that the job really sounded like a good fit for me. It was a Corporate Social Responsibility position filled with opportunity, growth, challenges, rewards and most importantly- a social mission.


I went to the gym shortly after the email and felt like I had a big REJECTED stamp on my forehead. I told myself this was only the beginning and my mom's words kept echoing in my head "there is a perfect job out there with your name on it- you just have to find it". Moms are smart and even if they are biased, I do believe she is right- something out there is in need of my skills, passion and commitment and I just need to be patient with myself and the job hunting process. After all, it wouldn't be fair to get the first job I apply for. First the process has to build you up, shake you around and then crush you a few times so that when the right offer comes along, you take it without looking back.

So tonight I will remind myself of my intentions and honor my promise to allow a little time to celebrate my MBA achievement before giving in to my type A controller inner-self. I will enjoy the holidays and all the amazing blessing I have been given. I will have faith that my hard work and goals will pay off and surrender my fears, worries and self-doubt. I will pray that god directs me toward a job that not only provides for me but also for others.

And lastly, I will keep going running because after an hour of working out, my sweat must have wiped away that REJECTED sign on my forehead and replaced it with HOPEFUL.




I want to beg you, as much as I can,

to be patient toward all that is unresolved

in your heart and to try to love the questions
themselves like locked rooms and like books
that are written in a very foreign tongue.
Do not seek the answers, which cannot
be given you because you would not be able
to live them.

And the point is to live everything.
Live the questions now.
Perhaps you will then gradually,
without noticing it, live along
some distant day into the answer.


Rainer Maria Rilke (1875-1926)

2 comments:

  1. Hope is a beautiful thing, keep it up! This post also reminds me that I really need to start running again. I have those "rejected" feeling days too often and I've forgotten how a workout can help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ana! We all have those days and I guess its what we make of them and how we channel that rejection that matters. It sure is easier said then done. As for running, well its one of my many therapies as is writing a blog. Too bad we aren't closer to run together. Girl talk is another wonderful therapy!!

    ReplyDelete