Thursday, December 8, 2011

MBA Graduate!

Tonight I took my very last grad school final- what a relief! I managed to stay calm and collected as I packed up my things but as soon as I got alone in my dark quite car- tears started streaming down my face. Tears of relief, exhaustion, joy, and pride. 

For me, grad school was a huge sacrifice that required me to move across the country leaving behind friends, family, familiarity and of course- Dan. When I began the grad school application process, my relationship was new and my independent and unattached inner-self led me to believe moving to Georgia for 2 years was a good idea. And it was a good idea- full scholarship with a stipend and an independent research fellowship working with the Guatemala Community Project. It sounded like a perfect fit. 


However, it wasn't long after I got here that my adventure turned into an incredible challenge that required me to reflect everyday on my intentions, purpose and inner strength. Luckily, my research work introduced me to some amazing people and my instant bond with Mandy eased some of my homesickness. She became my "person in case of an emergency" and someone I knew I could call if I needed to. I fell in love with her family and admired her intelligence, kindness, patience and ambitions. 


Then about half way into the program, my financial stress led me to a job with Big Peach Running Co., where I met a team of runners with inspirational goals and welcoming personalities. Work was fun and I enjoyed getting to know some truly wonderful individuals. They showed me new running routes in the woods, convinced me to do a night headlamp run (where Lauren got attacked by a bat) and motivated me to stay active. 

However, apart from work and my fellowship, I spent most of my free time studying. My accelerated MBA plans, non-business background and obsession with getting only "A"s meant I had very little social life.

Dan and I had to depend on Skype and multiple daily phone calls to keep us connected. Over the last 18 months we managed to fit in 13 visits (one meet up in the Bahamas and one trip to the Baltic)! The airport became a place of anxious unions and tearful goodbyes. After every visit, I started counting down until the next. His support, encouragement and patience through all of this is almost unreal. I have never known anyone so thoughtful, caring and lovable! 






And, what I lacked in a social life, I made up for in my exciting study abroad trips to Dubai and Guatemala! My 3 week trip to the rural highlands of Guatemala was definitely the highlight of my MBA and it was just the trip I needed to remind me why I wanted my MBA in the first place. It wasn't just about a better salary or more credentials but it was about gaining skills to improve non-profit/socially driven organizations. 


Yes, it’s been a roller-coaster these last 18 months! And even as I am writing this entry, trying to communicate how hard it was being down here alone, I realize how blessed and incredible this whole experience has been. Even with the holidays I spent away from family or the Friday nights I had to go out single...there were still positives that came out of it all. And, probably the most important lesson I learned from all this is that I do need family and friends. For awhile I thought I could be happy working internationally following the top development projects but now I know that my best work will be based in Minnesota because that really is where my heart is. Yes, the heartland may be cold and flat but it is where I am meant to be...

I will miss all the wonderful people I have met down here in Georgia.  I will miss running Kennesaw Mountain, the weather, the hospitality, the southern accent, the biscuits, the grits, and this list goes on...know that there is an open invitation in Minnesota if any of you southerners ever venture up north. We have the boundary waters and the TC marathon that should bring a few of you up some day. 

Now...back to packing. I will keep you posted on how the next chapter of my life begins. 

5 comments:

  1. You should be full of pride! The majority of us are scared to take any real leaps in life and you keep making one right after the other.

    I'll never forget the time I had getting to know you and only wish I knew you better. Good luck back in Minnesota. I'll have to make a point of coming to visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a great experience and that you are going home!!! I moved to Atlanta to get my MPH and didn't know a soul when I got there. I made amazing friends and had a blast - new experiences make us stronger and help us get to know ourselves in different ways. Good luck moving back north - just in time for the holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, Krista. I will miss you so much. The good thing is that you are always welcome here for visits and you can bet we will be barging in on you guys in Minnesota! I am so proud of you (and me). We made a great team. :) And maybe we will again someday--you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exactly the same way that you do about the necessity for family and friends, especially family, which is why Chris and I will move to California when he's done with school here in Miami. Congratulations on finishing up grad school and good luck on the next chapter in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the nice words and encouragement. I feel more grounded and aware of what in life after this experience. It is one I will cherish forever and I will keep all of the wonderful people I met close at heart!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete