Monday, October 17, 2011

Sweet potato pancakes

Lately my dinners need to meet 3 main criteria:

1. Healthy (or at least not unhealthy)
2. Easy (less than 30 min)
3. Cheap (I am a student remember)

I was in the mood for some breakfast so I took out the pancake mix and decided to make a variation of the potato pancakes. The recipe on the box is at the bottom of this post but I did the following instead:

Mix:
1 egg
1 1/2 cups pancake mix
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbs. brown sugar

Shred 1 cup sweet potato and cook with a tad olive oil on the stove (hash brown style) until soft.


Combine all ingredients and blend in food processor or blender. Cook the pancakes like normal and top with ricotta cheese and lite or real maple syrup. Add some pecans if desired.

It was delicious and much more satisfying than just the standard batter. Also, use the leftover sweet potato for hash browns. Top with a little salt.


You could also just follow the recipe on the box but I was in the mood for sweet not savory.

No comments:

Post a Comment