Sunday, September 11, 2011

Field of Flags



After work on Saturday a few of us ran to Kennesaw Mountain to check out the memorial for September 11th. It was part of a week-long tribute that began with a parade, ceremony and field of flags memorial. Each flag placed on the base of the battle field represents a life lost during 9.11. It was overwhelming to see the enormous field I run by every day painted patriotic.  I thought we should have mixed in a few peace signs and symbols of tolerance considering our nationalism is often misunderstood and wrongfully presented to the world.  


We took some pictures and talked about that day 10 years ago. I was a freshman in college, still sound asleep before class and remember waking up to screaming in the halls and my roommate running in from the shower to turn on the TV where most of us remained for hours.



Throughout the weekend I thought about the orphaned children, the widowed, the friends and the family. It created a knot in my stomach and that nauseous feeling. 


I kept hoping and praying our country would be peaceful this 9/11. I thought about my friends in high risk target areas, pilots, travelers, and people in the service. 

I empathized with all those who might be wrongfully judged, harassed or looked upon with suspicion and fear this weekend due to their ethnicity or color of their skin. 

I also thought about the evil, the brainwashed, the desperate and the weak...how did you get there and how can our world prevent such evil from exploding ever again?


Kennesaw Mountain GA




No comments:

Post a Comment