Monday, November 24, 2014

3rd Trimester!

Week 28 marks the 3rd trimester! 

How I know I am in my 3rd trimester
1. My shoelaces are tied off-center because its hard to bend over
2. People don't hesitate anymore to comment on my growing belly
3. I have to pee every hour
4. I can not only feel but now see the baby kicks
6. I am out of breath just talking 
7. My running has slowed to a speedwalk pace
8. My winter coat no longer fits and I have accepted that Dan's clothes are sometimes okay to wear
9. My own reflection both surprises and amazes me
10. There is no comfortable way to sleep on my left side-even with a nest of pillows for more than an hour but that doesn't matter (see #3)
11. I am back to frequent snacking just like the 1st trimester. There just isn't room in my belly for big meals
12. It's winter time but I am hot. I thought hot flashes were for menopause!?!? 
13. Our baby's ultrasounds look human- what a relief I am not growing an alien! 
14. My belly button is basically an outie. I really was dreading this one! 
15. My pants are pulled so high they almost double as as a shirt 

28 Weeks and growing! 
We had our doctor appointment today and all checked out good! Little g (still without a name) is 2lbs. 9 oz which means he is in the 52 percentile. I guess that's good because the doctor said too big is hard to deliver. Baby g is the size of a kabocha squash (not to be confused with kombucha- my favorite fermented beverage I miss SO much!). Kabocha is sometimes called a Japanese pumpkin and it is really good as fried tempura. Mmmmm, that is now on my list of cravings!
kabocha squash
Size of baby g at 28 weeks
I told the doctor about my car accident last week (yes, rear ended again!) and she said I probably should have come in to be monitored but I reassured her it wasn't a hard hit. She said, "Well, if it happens again, we prefer to monitor you for 4 hours to make sure all is okay". Next time!?!?! Let's hope not. 

I have had soooo many little baby kicks and Dan and I laugh when it looks like he is going to punch right through my belly. The other day however, I felt a little kick that felt more like a muscle twitch. I told the doctor that it felt a little bit like a spasm and not like the other kicks. She reassured me that often times my body or the uterus might contract as a reaction to the baby kicks. However, because my sister Katie had a seizure disorder, she did say that if I feel it again, to call her and they would do a scan. I feel like I have been doing a pretty good job not over thinking or worrying about things out of my control but I have to admit, there are moments when my mind wanders to the worst case scenario. I get flashbacks to hospital visits with my sister and think about all the things that can go wrong during pregnancy, birth and those precious newborn hours. I think about how hard it was for my parents to see Katie suffer and just pray our little one is born strong and healthy. 

Starting to look like a baby! 

Now that we are in our 3rd trimester, we are feeling a bit more pressure to get things ready. Unfortunately, our birthing class got cancelled so we had to reschedule for another weekend. I was pretty disappointed because I am excited to learn more about what to really expect when expecting. However, I took advantage of some free time to work on crafting a lampshade. As I have mentioned, the baby room will be black and white which I guess is not a very popular theme so I am having to do more DIY. I got some fabric for the lampshade and another design that my mom is going to make into a crib skirt. I have enjoyed these little projects and like that the room will be filled with love, intention and style when he arrives! 

Measure and cut fabric

Glue edges with a hot glue gun

And hang! So simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment