Tuesday, November 4, 2014

25 Weeks!

According to the trusted Wikipedia, nesting is found in a variety of animals (both mammals and birds) including humans. Domestic cats often make nests by bringing straw, cloth scraps, and other soft materials to a selected nook. Apparently, for women, the nesting instinct often occurs around the fifth month of pregnancy, but can occur as late as the eighth. It may be strongest just before the onset of labor.

As I mentioned before, I am not a real fan of the "nesting" term because it feels like a socially construed concept  (like Valentine’s Day) to encourage women to feel pressure to decorate the nursery, clean the house, and buy as much baby stuff as possible. However, I have to admit, my mood and interests do appear to have a pattern.

There must be stages of nesting and I have shifted from the nursery stage to the knowledge/research phase. After last week’s blog, I was so grateful and motivated by all of the mothers that reached out to me with Doula references, yoga recommendations, books, classes and even placenta encapsulation resources! I no longer feel like Googling  baby crib sheets but rather can't stop reading about all the things happening each week for little baby g and what is about to happen these next few months for the two of us.

In line with the knowledge phase, I signed us up for our first birthing class at Blooma Yoga which was recommended by both my doctor and friends. I started reading Great Expectations of Pregnancy and Childbirth and especially appreciated how they described the stages of labor by comparing my cervix dilating from the size of cheerio, oreo, soda pop and then bagel- now that’s something Dan and I can relate to and remember!

I also can't help but see every mother as a huge almanac of knowledge! I have discussed natural childbirth with my friend Kate, the pros of a doula with my co-worker Leah and the strategies for coping with labor pains with my sister in-law Lisa. Maria, Dan's sister, has helped reassure me that its okay to have some frustrations with my ever-changing hormones and she echoed that pregnancy can be scary when you think about another human dependent on you for nutrition and a nest! I love feeling like I have added another community of people into my life. Now in addition to my running, Peace Corps, grad school, college, family, work circles...I have a new mother-to-be circle. And, in this circle happens to be my college roommate and amazing friend, Jen. She is due in January and I SO enjoyed spending some time visiting with Jen this weekend and sharing our pregnancy aches, excitements and lessons learned.

Best friends and future friends! 
After visiting with Jen and Kate at the Talafous home, Dan and I made a trip to Babies 'R Us and Buy Buy Baby. It wasn't our first time at these stores but this time I was determined to get a least a few things decided like which car seat or stroller to select. However, I can't help but get overwhelmed at baby stores and feel like a huge target for their pushy advertisements.

All the crazy advertisements and samples I received when registering

I mean really...why are there 4 types of baby diaper pails? Is the genie really that magical!?!? Seeing all the baby stuff definitely makes me reflect back on my time in Honduras working in the nutrition center. They didn't heat the baby wipes, have a million rockers, bouncers, swings and baby bumbos (yes, that's a real thing!) and yet, the babies were doing okay. Now, in Honduras, many were lacking basic nutrition and a hygienic home, so I am not downplaying the importance of infant care, but I do know that many of the things I feel like I need to buy, are not really necessary. My goal is to have enough baby stuff that I can soothe the baby but not so much that we feel suffocated in our own home.

Sometimes the best toy is a box!

Nutrition Center in Honduras
The documentary "Babies" is also a good comparison for this dichotomy. The film shows that the babies from Namibia, Mongolia, Tokyo and United States all pretty much develop around the same time despite having very different environments, toys, resources etc. I definitely recommend it if the topic of nature vs. nurture interest you.

http://www.focusfeatures.com/babies

So...before closing tonight’s post, I have to report that little baby g is either an eggplant or a rutabaga depending on which chart I follow. He is probably around 2 lbs and almost a foot long. Dan stopped at the store on the way home and I asked him to pick up one of the veggies so he just got both. I am pretty sure this was his first time purchasing an eggplant and rutabaga but I guess I can't say I have ever cooked or eaten a rutabaga either. Suggestions!?!?!

Eggplant or Rutageba! 

25 Weeks!! (outtake photo) 




No comments:

Post a Comment