Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Phasing out parabens...

I have a modest shoe collection (other than running shoes), wardrobe and tech accessories but when it comes to random cosmetic supplies...I am a bit of a hoarder! I have always been into testing new products and feel its almost a necessity to rotate shampoos, styling products and cleansers. I remember my first time going to Ulta with my mom as a teenage girl and was overwhelmed with all the products I still hadn't sampled. Strange I know! Its not like I really believe most of them actually make my hair shinier or my skin softer but there is just something soothing about pampering yourself with products. Who needs a spa when you can retreat into your own bathroom!?!

However, within the last few years I started to worry a little bit about all of the parabens and unknown chemicals I was bathing in. Not to mention the cost and space this habit was wasting. I also had developed some skin sensitivity partly due to my frequent climate changes from Honduras to MSP to GA. I tried multiple solutions but one thing I really enjoyed was making my own facial toner sprays. So, after multiple co-op visits, online research and various blogging, I discovered a few essential oils that replaced some of my old toxic cleansers. I just thought I would share a few of my favorite spa night recipes. And be prepared...some are strange!!


Combination skin
2 oz spring/distilled water
1 tsp vodka (prevents oils from separating)
5 drops Lavender (organic always!)
4 drops Tea Tree Oil
3 drops Frankincense

Dry (water and vodka plus...)
2 oz spring water
5 drops Rose Water or Rose Otto
5 drops Lavender



Other oils for oily skin (sometimes they come blended in jojoba oil)

  • Cedarwood
  • Geranium
  • Lemongrass
  • Witch hazel (not an oil)

*I also like sandalwood for dehydrated irritated skin as well as for assistance with scars and healing.

HAIR

For my hair I like to mix egg yolk (whites for oily hair and yolk for dry) with mayo. Then I wrap a hot towel steamed in the microwave around my head for 20 minutes. Yep, a little strange to have egg salad on your head but its WAY cheaper, healthier and more natural than infusing your hair with keratin treatments or Brazilian blowouts.

**Note- I only use these oils topically even though some people ingest certain oils. I like to use them to clean off my yoga mat and for aromatherapy.  Lavender is great for spraying on a pillow as a sleep aid too. Also, I buy ORGANIC oils when possible to prevent unwanted chemicals.

Enjoy testing some new oils and avoid using unnecessary chemicals!

Namaste! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great ideas! (And all the research it took for you to come up with them). I can't wait to try them out. I love Sandalwood, too, and it smells so great.

    ReplyDelete